Toulouse: summer city break destination!
Renowned as the European capital of aeronautics and reputed for its traditional violet and even for its love of rugby, Toulouse is an effervescent city that is home to countless treasures.
Les Guinguettes, summer pop-up restaurants
Toulouse sees a number of pop-up restaurants spring to life during summer! A barge on the Canal du Midi, a floatting restaurant, an electric island, a street art heaven or a musical courtyard... The pink city has it all!
Bursting with cultural, gastronomic and festive gems, Toulouse is best experienced, breathed and tasted through its simple pleasures: nothing could be better than sitting at one of its sun-kissed terraces in the afternoon, seeking out the cool of its mansion houses, the Jacobins Convent and the basilica of Saint-Sernin, listed as World Heritage by UNESCO, or taking in the sunset over the shimmering waters of the Garonne from the quayside or at a pop-up Guinguette bistro as it lights up the iconic dome of La Grave.
This summer, numerous major exhibitions will take place in the emblematic sites of the Ville Rose, including:
- "Picasso and the Exodus" at Les Abattoirs FRAC-Occitanie, dedicated for the first time to the relationship between Picasso and the Spanish Exodus, spanning three floors of Les Abattoirs, it explores how the historical and personal upheaval of the Exodus affected Picasso and many other artists of his generation. – up until 25th August.
- In the Musée Saint-Raymond, Toulouse archeological museum, discover "Age of Classics! Antiquity in pop culture", the exhibition that brings together antique objects and productions made after the year 2000 and examines our relationship to the Greco-Roman world in various aspects of our daily lives: literature, comics, cinema and series, the visual arts, etc. – from February 22 to September 22.
- This year, summer in Toulouse starts with an exceptional auction! A Caravaggio canvas that was unearthed in Toulouse will be displayed and then sold at auction right here in the Ville Rose. When you realise that this is actually a lost work by Caravaggio, this slightly curious story takes on a truly incredible dimension... The auction takes place on Thursday 27th June at the Halle aux Grains - 1 Place Dupuy.
- From July 5th to August 31st, La Halle de La Machine will open until 10pm on Fridays and Saturdays. A good opportunity to extend the summer days in the company of True Machinists to discover the machines, travel on the back of the Minotaur and enjoy free open-air concerts in an unusual setting.
- L’Orchestre National du Capitole will held his Classical Summer Open-air Concert on Friday 12th July
- On July20th, la Cité de l'espace is celebrating Apollo 50th anniversary with a big open and public Moon Party lasting all day long! Beside this special day, the Cité offers 2,500m² of interactive exhibitions to help you become an expert on the Earth and the Universe as you learn everything about space flight and even find out how to predict the weather.
Running alongside these exhibitions and events, countless activities are due to be held in a variety of venues throughout the city over the summer months, for instance:
- English guided visits arranged by the Tourist Office of Toulouse, such as "Great Monuments of Toulouse".
- The latest instalment of the Toulouse Plages event along the banks of the River Garonne. Sport, workshops, exhibitions, theatre and games are all on the agenda for nearly two months at a variety of venues throughout the city – from July 20th till August 23rd
Getting organised once you are there
The Pass Tourisme; the city without limits
In order to make the most of your stay, Toulouse offers tourists the Pass Tourisme that makes it easy to enjoy visits, transport and cultural discoveries, as well as offering a number of other benefits: public transport and airport shuttle included, free entry to museums and monuments in the city centre, reduced rates at the Cité de l'Espace and Aeroscopia, as well as the city’s discovery tours, and a choice of a free guided visit from the programme offered by the tourist office – Three accessible options: 24H (18€), 48H (28€) or 72H (35€).
Offers at the very best prices from the Club Hôtelier de Toulouse Métropole
In 2019, establishments that are members of the Club Hôtelier de Toulouse Métropole are launching weekend offers to suit every taste! 4 packages to choose from for two people.